Tuesday 16 February 2016
Urgent winter appeal for aid
When a family loses its home, it’s devastating. But when a family loses its home in the depths of winter, with temperatures as low as -25°C, it’s a matter of life and death
- Cold weather kills 20 times as many people as hot weather
- Temperatures of -18 °C with a wind speed of 15mph will cause frostbite in just 30 minutes
- Children lose heat faster and are more vulnerable to hypothermia and frostbite
- Winter temperatures in the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea fall below -25 °C
- When you cry in temperatures of -25 °C, your eyelashes freeze together
Alf Evans, ShelterBox Operations Manager, visited the DPRK after the country was struck by Typhoon Bolaven. His video diary shows the desperate conditions people are living in, and the difference ShelterBox can make to a freezing family this winter.
We urgently need your help to reach the remote communities suffering in the DPRK. Cutting through red tape is not easy due to the complex political situation, but we won’t let these families be forgotten. We are in the process of distributing ShelterBox aid in the DPRK right now, but we need your support to make sure that here, and elsewhere in the world, no family is left without shelter.