Rotarian support currently contributes an estimated 50% of ShelterBox donations. Around 5,000 rotary clubs worldwide have supported ShelterBox since it was launched.
Recognising this worldwide support from the Rotary community, ShelterBox was designated as a Global Rotary Club Project in 2009. Logos with this designation will now appear on all ShelterBoxes, tents, blankets and ancillary materials.
Rotary supporting ShelterBox. In 2012 ShelterBox signed an historic agreement with Rotary International and became a Project Partner.
Rotarians underpin many of the essential activities of ShelterBox including:
- Donations - vital to funding ShelterBox disaster relief efforts
- Support in promoting the work of ShelterBox by speaking to clubs, schools & community groups
- Volunteering in all fields from packing boxes, to admininstrative support and fundraising assistance
- Participation in volunteer ShelterBox Response Teams (SRTs) deployed to disasters worldwide to deliver aid
- Extensive support to SRTs arriving in disaster affected countries. Help often encompasses customs clearance, logistics, transport, accommodation and essential local knowledge and connections
- Staff, management and leadership of the organisation as employees or volunteer trustees and directors
The Rotary International Strategic Plan encourages all Rotarians to:
- Advance the recognition and public image of RI and Rotary
- Expand membership globally in both numbers and quality
- Increase Rotary's capacity to provide service
ShelterBox is ideally placed to support the above with regular events, news, stories and imagery of Rotary and Rotarians engaged in 'Service above Self'. Many Rotary clubs have reported that club support activities for ShelterBox have been very successful in attracting strong interest in Rotary and increased membership.